Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bully (Fall Away, #1) written by Penelope Douglas (290 pgs) – finished reading 1/8/15 – 5 stars - New Adult


Jared Trent is so mean to Tatum Brandt. And, he doesn’t care. Tate just can’t understand why he hates her after they were childhood friends for years. It just doesn’t make any sense. What did she ever do to him? She just can’t understand it. But, he’s made his choice, now he can live with it. After Tate comes home after spending her junior year of high school abroad in France, she’s not going to back down anymore. She’s going to play the game with him, and see how he likes a little competition in the “revenge” department. But, when Tate gets back, Jared just can’t believe how much more beautiful she can be. Now what? How can he possibly keep her at arm’s length now?

This was such a sad story between two lonesome individuals. Jared was a hard person to like. He just came off so arrogant and such a player -  being with a different girl all the time. He used people. He was mean. The ultra-typical “bully”.  His own life was far from perfect. As I got a further glimpse as to why he’s such a rotten bastard, a little of me couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. His life sucks! His parents are big-time messed up – both being different types of addicts. He blamed Tate for abandoning him, and that was so far from the truth. While he tries to survive the horrifying reality of his life, he pushes away the one person that really would have helped him and supported him. The one person that truly loved him.

My heart went out to Tate. She really was a genuinely nice person that didn’t deserve all the heartless things that were done and said to her. That’s how a once best friend treats you? How could she have been so stupid and trusted him with her most precious secrets? How could she have given him her heart and then he just smashed it to pieces without a care in the world? I couldn’t help but shed quite a few tears for her. He humiliated her time and time again. It was heartbreaking to read about. But, like I said, she was such a caring and trusting person. Those are usually the ones that get their heart stomped on the most. But, will she get her redemption? Will she rise to the occasion and hurt Jared just as much as he hurt her or even worse?

I really couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Read this awesome book in just a day. I just had to find out what happened. Okay, no one better dare talk to me in my house or else...haha! I kind of figured out a little of the ending, but was also pleasantly surprised about some things that went down. I got a little mad at Tate’s best friend, K.C., though. She seemed like somewhat of a traitor, but I was willing to forgive her a little as she really is just trying to help her friend. There definitely was still a connection between Tate and Jared even though their present relationship was so strained. It was just a matter of time before one of them would crack. And, the sexual tension between the two was out of control. They just had to be in the same room, and they could feel the anxiety between the two. But, with Jared having that tough intimidating personality, he just tried to brush it off as nothing. He just didn’t want to care about Tate even though he knew deep down that she was his.

Amazing, amazing book!!! Had my heart racing the entire time! My favorite scene was without-a-doubt when Tate raced for Jared. So thrilling and exciting! I was just so hopeful that they would find some common ground to just start over.  What’s going to happen in the end? Tears upon tears shed for both main characters along the way.  Ms. Douglas couldn’t have captured my attention more. I put off reading this book for so long. Why, I ask myself? Don’t know the answer to that. But, now that’s it’s over, I’m sad. But, this is a series, and next up is the story told from Jared’s POV. I heard that it’s very well written and a totally different story than this one. So, I’m willing to give it a chance and see if I can immerse myself into Jared’s story while giving him the benefit-of-the-doubt to let him into my heart just a little bit. He has a lot of soul-searching to do though. And, a lot of redeeming to put forth. So, I’m looking forward to reading Jared’s story. Ms. Douglas definitely “wowed” me with this book!! So sorry that it took me a while to read it!!!

“Yesterday lasts forever. Tomorrow comes never. Until You.” ~ Jared (Chap. 30)

Review written, 1/13/15

No comments:

Post a Comment