Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Awaken Me (The Jaded, #4) written by Alex Grayson (427 pgs) – finished reading 4/8/16 – 5 stars - Contemporary Romance

One of my favorites so far this year!!

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS PRESENT WITHIN REVIEW***

I knew this was going to be one grueling read. The books in this series leading up to this one are filled with intensity and compassion. So, I was set to be on the edge of my seat with Nick and Chris’ story. And, this amazing author did not disappoint! Nick loses the love of his life in a horrific manner. He passes through each day with sorrow and booze. He’s gone to a really dark and dismal place, and no one can reach him, except for maybe Chris. He hates her, at least he talks like he does. He can no way be with or give his heart to another woman. He was meant to be with his Anna. And, the guilt that he suffers from as her life was devastatingly taken, eats him up inside while destroying his soul. He has no heart left to give anyone else. It shattered when Anna passed, leaving him broken and unable to care if he lived or died. And, here’s Chris. Beautiful red-headed Chris who’s so vibrant and good. Her life has had its ups and downs, though. Kidnapped by a madman. Held at gunpoint not knowing if she would live or die. Having two parents that did not support their children. If it wasn’t for the love and protection of her brother, Jase, and for the good friends she had, who knows what her life would be like. All she wants to do is help Nick, but he won’t let her in. He’s rude and nasty. Some of the things that he says to her are downright vicious. But, Chris is tough. She can handle it. What she can’t handle, however, is all the back and forth that goes on between them. So, when a life-altering situation finds Chris needing love and support, Nick finally takes responsibility for once and makes her his number one obligation. He helps Chris dig herself out of the depths of darkness and live again. Do these two broken individuals have a chance at being a couple in the end? Or has too much damage been done to repair their broken hearts??

I knew this was going to be a tough one to read because of all the hinting the author did in the previous books of the series. This was one intense read! It had me a blubbering mess at times. Some of the things said were just so cruel and spiteful. It did make for the story, but it was hard to read. I was so rooting for this heartbroken couple nonetheless. They deserved to find their “happily ever after”. And, what the author puts them through to finally find get that is nothing short of agony and sadness. They’ll get there, though. It’s just by one step at a time that they finally see what is standing right in front of them. HOME! A life worth living. A love everlasting. And, a kind of peace like no other. Nick has been waiting his whole life for Chris, he just didn’t know it. What a gripping story that will have you holding your breath until finally getting to the bitter end. There really was no suspenseful mystery in this book, however. But, I do think that there was a  romantic mystery present that had the reader guessing whether or not Nick and Chris would finally be together in the end. And, surprisingly so, Anna is with them in a roundabout way to find that. I loved this book!! Loved it! This is one series I would definitely read again!! Ms. Grayson did a bang-up job of completing this series with heart and soul. I will truly miss these amazing characters along with their friends and families. I can’t wait to see what Ms. Grayson has next up her sleeve!! She is one author that is at the top of my TBR list!!

“I love you. I just wanted you to know. I love you, Nick. I have for a long time. And I know if you had let me in your heart I could have made you happy. I know you think you don’t have any love left to give. But what you don’t get is, love is endless. There’re no measurements or an end to love. The heart can hold any amount. It can be scary and frightening and it can be hard, but it can also be beautiful. The beauty comes after all the scary and hard stuff. You just have to work through it and earn it. I may not be what you want, but I could have given that to you. We could have given it to each other. I hope one day you can find your happiness, even if that isn’t with me.” ~ Chris (Chap. 20)

And, of course, another amazing cover! Just sucks you right into reading this book!!!

Review Written, 4/8/16


No comments:

Post a Comment