Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Biggest Mistake written by Leddy Harper (359 pgs) – finished reading 9/10/15 – 5 stars - Contemporary Romance

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS PRESENT WITHIN REVIEW***

Wow! That was sure one emotional read. Have to get my thoughts together before I can review this one...

Ms. Harper says that this one was the “hardest thing she’s ever written”, and I believe her. It seemed to come from the most deepest part of her. The writing was amazing and showed true sincerity. Every heartbreaking moment seemed to come from within. I’ve never had to deal with postpartum depression myself per-se even after having four kids, but I’ve definitely seen first-hand how it can affect a family member. It’s hard to understand how a person can feel this way, and many people think it’s all an act, but believe me when I say IT’S NOT! It gets to be a really dismal and painful time. And, I can really see why it was so difficult for Edie not to be able to talk to her husband regarding it even though he was supposed to be her “hero”. Some of the choices she made were hard to swallow. And, you could really feel for her and why she had no alternative as to the decisions she made, but what about her family? She was trying to save them, but in the process she hurt them so irrevocably. And, her poor husband. Gosh! He was such a hero! At one point he tries to hurt her in return, only making it more difficult for both of them, but even that seemed to backfire when he really couldn’t turn off his feelings as to the fact that he still loved her and probably always will love her. So so sad! Man, when I tell you that at times the waterworks threatened to fall, and I couldn’t help myself. I was tearful for all of them. Edie, Donovan, and their three beautiful children. This is one book that I know will just stay with me for awhile! There was just so many underlying problems that were brought out as each level of Edie’s issues started to surface. Everything was peeled away until the truth of what really happened with Edie rose to the top. It took Donnie everything that he really had to dig deep and see what was really going on with Edie at that most difficult and dark time in her life. To totally understand just exactly what she was going through. He was, without a doubt, an amazing man, and she was truly a survivor. A fighter. A survivor that once she started healing, just would not give up no matter what mountains she had to climb to reclaim her family. She was there for her husband and children and nothing was going to change that now. Truly an amazing story! Tissues will be needed. Understanding will have to be forefront. And, what I took away from Edie and Donnie’s story was so powerful and beautiful! A book not to be missed! Ms. Harper really out-did herself with this one...

“You are forgiven. I forgive you. The kids too.” He pulled back and held my face in his hands, forcing me to look into his eyes as he spoke. “We wouldn’t have been so hurt...so broken if we didn’t love you that much. You and the kids are my whole world, Edie. My everything. You were my reason to breathe. And then you left and took my oxygen with you. That wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t love you that much. It doesn’t matter how long it took you to come home, the only thing that matters is that you’re here. My heart can beat again. I can breathe again. And I will never give that up. I can promise you that. So please, never worry about me leaving or that we’ll stop loving you. That will never happen.” ~ Donovan (Chap. 16)

“We are never given anything we can’t handle. Sometimes we think we are, but those are the times that count the most. It’s the Mount Everest, and when you’re standing on the top, nothing feels better knowing you’ve achieved it. You made it. You survived.” ~ Edie (Chap. 27)

“I learned a lot through my journey. But out of it all, I learned: Mistakes happen...you learn, you grow, and you teach. There’s no such thing as moving on...you carry on. You live on.” ~ Edie (Epilogue)

Review Written, 9/10/15


No comments:

Post a Comment