Friday, September 11, 2015

Grayson’s Vow written by Mia Sheridan (319 pgs) – finished reading 9/11/15 – 3.5 stars - Contemporary Romance

So, I finished another one of Mia Sheridan’s books, and this was the first time that I felt that something was missing. Can’t put my finger on it, but I didn’t feel that angsty heartbreaking drama that I usually felt with her books. It was more like a feel-good romance. Now, don’t get me wrong, it was entertaining, and I was hooked from page one, but where were the tears that I usually shed when reading one of this author’s book? Or, where was the surprising climax? I don’t know, maybe I just expect too much sometimes when authors try a different style of writing.

I will say this, though, I loved the heroine Kira! She was smart and sassy. Always trying to figure out “a plan” to fix everything. And, when having to deal with her jackass of a father, she never tried to make up excuses for him. He was what he was, which was not a very likable person. Mean and manipulative is just what he was. And the ex-fiance’ what a deplorable jerk! He must really think that Kira would be insane to ever give him the time of day again after what kind of position he had put her in a year ago. NO WAY! NOT HAPPENING!! NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!! And, the hero Grayson, had me lusting after him from the beginning until he talks some real rubbish to Kira and hurts her with words that could only bring out those insecurities that she so desperately worries about. He’s, unfortunately, not had it easy neither with a father and step-mother that were pretty much verbally abusive to him, but that doesn’t give him the right to speak to her like that. All along she’s tried to get him to believe in himself because the man just didn’t feel worthy of love whatsoever. Kira tries to break him of his self-doubt with love and faith, that is until she totally blindsides him with a secret that threatens to steal their happiness with each other.

There were some pretty poignant moments that had me saying, “Awww, that was so sweet” or “Damn, that was really funny”. Kira was mainly to blame for most of it. She was just so thoughtful and lovable. She was hurt in the past, but she was so determined to give everyone hope and understanding.

Now, just because I wasn’t over the moon with this book doesn’t mean that I’m still not a Mia Sheridan fan. I guess I just have to learn that authors take their stories in different directions just to get a feel for how their audience will react to another style of writing. Or, maybe they just want to write the story the way they want regardless. Whatever the case, I’m still hooked on Ms. Sheridan’s books and will continue to support her writing...

“Listen to me, Grayson.” I leaned back and took his face in my hands, looking him in the eye. “There is always pain in this life. Not just for me, not just for you – for everyone. You can’t avoid it. And sometimes the pain is so great, it feels as if it carves out the very essence of who you are. But it doesn’t, not if you don’t allow it to. It carves out a place in you, yes, but love is meant to fill that space. If you let it, pain makes more space for love within you. And the love we carry inside makes us strong when nothing else can.” ~ Kira (Chap. 22)


Review Written, 9/11/15

No comments:

Post a Comment