Thursday, March 3, 2016

Corrupt written by Penelope Douglas (460 pgs) – finished reading 3/1/16 – 5 stars - Contemporary Romance (New Adult)

So, I guess I’m getting to the party a little late for this one, and I’m sorry for it. This was one amazing read! Loved all the characters, the drama, and the intimacy. WOW! Off-the-charts intense! Two people, Erika and Michael, have known each other since they were kids. They are drawn to each other every time they’re in the same room. The intense stares and cool presence that radiates off both of them is stifling. But, it’s the younger brother, Trevor, that the parents have plans for uniting Rika in marriage with. Rika, however, has put the kabash on that when she breaks off hers and Trevor’s romantic relationship. She elects to just remain as friends with him, which no one is taking seriously. She’s always had a thing for Michael, and Michael is starting to reciprocate those feelings as well. But, with one heinous night of pranks on Mischief Night, Michael and his friends’ lives are forever changed. Now all they can think about is revenge! And, Rika unsuspectantly, seems to be at the brunt of their focus.

Damn! This was one consuming read! I couldn’t put it down, and stayed up late into the night to finish it. There’s always something so engrossing about a Penelope Douglas book. I’ve read a few of them, and they’re always intense with so many twists and turns and unexpectant secrets revealed. And, this one definitely did not disappoint in that regard.  The intimacy factor was HOT and STEAMY with a bit of KINK. It was really panty scorching material! The author also brings her A-game with drama and power between the wealthy and ones who think that they are untouchable. It finally catches up to them, and they’re not let off lightly. The book goes back and forth between the past and present with dual POV’s expressing their feelings and how everything is being played out. Michael really isn’t the nicest guy, in fact he’s down right mean to Rika. But, it seemed like she saw that they were two of the same, and he really understood her.

“I trembled, just holding his eyes. What did I see in him? The answer was so easy, I didn’t even have to think about it. It was the same thing he saw in me all those years ago down in the catacombs. The hunger. The need to break away, the desire to find the one person on the planet that would understand me, the temptation to go after all things they tell us we can’t have...” ~ Rika (Chap. 6)

I so loved this book! My only reason for not giving this book a full 5-star rating, however, is because I though that Rika was a little too forgiving in the end when the truth is revealed. Michael had to do a little redeeming first before everything was hunky-dory between the two, especially since given the fact that he was practically the ring-leader of the group. Ms. Douglas’ books, though, are ones that I go to when need an intensive powerful read that keeps me enthralled until the bitter end. Looking forward to seeing what comes next from that brilliant pen of hers...

“He was always game. And thanks to his tutelage, now so was I. He’d corrupted me.” ~ Rika (Chap 29)


“She corrupted me.” ~ Michael (Epilogue)

Review Written, 3/3/16

No comments:

Post a Comment