Friday, August 14, 2015

The Emancipation of Love (Monster, #2) written by Mary E. Palmerin (177 pgs) – finished reading 8/13/15 – 4 stars - Dark Romance

***Warning – this book is sexually graphic with highly emotional abusive practices***

As Gwendolyn and Welch’s story continues, this installment is told in mostly Welch’s POV. His narration is one of sadness and heartbreak for a man that is damaged beyond all control. I couldn’t help to feel for this man that pretty much had his entire childhood stolen from him at the hands of horrific individuals that a young child is supposed to trust. His story is graphic in nature, and was hard to read, but it just solidified the fact that the abuse continued to rule his life explicitly. Violation and pain was all that he knew, and he proceeded to find ways to thwart any type of way to feel peace and happiness. He just thought himself not worthy of such contentment. He’s still “Worthless William Welch” and now at twenty-eight years old, the extent as far as how extreme he will inflict pain on himself is barbaric.

“She is gone and the situation that happened before angers me further as I think back to why I am even still alive. What for? Everyone apparently has a purpose, but what is mine? I am a monster. A sexual deviant. A gorger for pain. I am Worthless William Welch. I manipulate. I hurt. There is no goodness left in me. I am nothing more than a shell of a man who pretends to be someone he is not. Pretending is becoming too much. I let my monster go. Fate brought us back together and I screwed that up.” – Welch (Chap. 7)

Such a sad and heartbreaking account of witnessing a man so broken beyond repair that was clearly not his choice. I really thought that this couple would have a chance once and for all to be happy, but the ending just wrecked my soul. What the hell just happened?? That was one twisted head-banger! I thought that the author cleverly got into the thought process of Welch with intrigue and darkness.  To be such a tortured character, but also to be a hero to one damsel in distress is ironic. I will definitely be keeping this author in the back of my mind when choosing to read the dark side of romance. But, after reading this immoral duet, I need something light and easy on the emotions.


My word! What a glorious cover!!!

Review Written, 8/14/15

No comments:

Post a Comment