Wednesday, August 12, 2015

From Dust written by Freya Barker (308 pgs) – finished reading 8/12/15 – 4.5 stars - Contempoary Romance

4.5 star rating only because of the seemingly rushed ending. Otherwise this was one emotional journey riddled with family, heartache, and a beautiful romance. Syd’s story will pull you in and claim your heart when you hear and feel what she has been through. With the love of a beautiful man, his two children, and a new found friend, Syd makes it her mission to be strong and resilient in her quest to live. She is one remarkable character as is the gruff hugely passionate man, Gunnar, that strengths her will to trust again. Told in alternating POV’s between Syd and Gunnar, it is the story of one woman taking back her life and finding a love so sensual and consuming. It was difficult to see the two main characters, while being in their late 30’s and early 40’s, experience some of life’s hardest obstacles. I really don’t want to say much more about this book because it would give away spoilers, but I will say that Syd’s story was first one of sorrow and then eventually one of triumph. I was totally blown away by the author’s brilliant writing and her ability to make me feel such passion and emotion. One powerful book not to be missed!


“We do our best, my love. You do your best every day. In the way you care for and protect your kids, and me. Everyone around, actually. You just have to come to terms with the fact you can’t tuck us away, wrapped in tissue paper to ensure nothing bad happens to us. It doesn’t work that way. Took me a long time to figure out that to stop breathing for fear of choking kills you anyway. Breathing is the better option. Trust me on that one. Can’t close the doors and shut the windows to stop bad things from happening. Locking yourself away will only turn you to dust. This I know for a fact because I came from dust.” – Syd (Chap. 25)

Review Written, 8/12/15

No comments:

Post a Comment